Friday, August 4, 2017

All Across The World, Children Like My Son Have Targets on Their Backs, by Jennifer Christie

All across the world, children like my son have targets on their backs. They are targeted for genocide. Even in
countries like Ireland where all preborn children have been protected for many years without discrimination, there is a growing contingent who believe that children like my son should not exist, that they do not deserve protection, and that they should be put to death for crimes they did not commit.  And these voices of death are getting louder. 

I'm not a politician, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have an impressive string of letters after my name.  No, my credentials are even better -- I'm a mother, and I will not be silenced. 

The targeting I'm referring to is called the "rape exception," and you've probably heard of it.  There are many people who think they are pro-life, but compromise in this area. I'll say it:  there is no compromise! There are no gray uniforms in this war. You are with us, or you are against us. You believe in the sanctity of life, or you do not.

I am a mother, and I will bear witness for the unborn.

In Ireland, those fighting to repeal the 8th Amendment and to legalize abortion chant in unison their call to arms:  RAPE.  RAPE???  Do you really have the audacity to try to own my assault, my pregnancy, my CHILD to assuage your collective conscience for demanding the unconscionable -- abortion, for any reason, at any time during pregnancy and at taxpayer's expense?!

I have a question for the people of Ireland who claim great concern for the pregnant rape victim to the point of demanding abortion:  What have you actually done to help us? Do you counsel?  Have you offered rape victims maternity clothes, prenatal care, baby items, food or even shelter?  Have you helped facilitate adoption? Do you help to make sure we and our children are safe? Do you help us to seek justice? Have you advocated for a law to terminate the parental rights of rapists, like we've passed in U.S. Congress?  Or does your alleged concern for the pregnant rape victim begin and end with the destruction of our babies? 

I've seen people deftly slip on the mask of phony compassion, their voices softening as they speak of the brutalized woman, asking such loaded questions as, "How can we force her to carry a rapist's baby?"  And, "What psychological abuse to know she's growing evil in her belly!" They suggest that it would be horrific to have a constant companion as she lives with the ever-present reminder in the face of the child, as though he or she is simply a smaller version of her attacker.

I say: How DARE you!  How dare you use me and my sister survivors to justify the unconscionable slaughtering of millions every year!

How dare you feign to speak for Paula Love who was pregnant after being drugged and raped at 18: "There was always a voice in my head telling me that I could have an abortion and it would fix everything. The truth is, choosing life fixed everything. I’m thankful every day that I didn’t buy into the lie. My daughter and the two incredible grandsons that she’s given me fixed everything. They have turned my sorrow into joy." 

Shame on you for thinking you know the mind of Elizabeth Diaz Navarro, who was raped and pregnant while attending university.  Of her daughter, she says,"thanks to her birth, I am a more complete human and a strong and happy woman. I now know that abortion would have made my situation worse – especially since I am unable to have more children.  She is my blessing.  Abortion is never a solution. Thank you my child. You make my life a place full of love and hope!"



You speak out of place when you say pregnant rape survivors like Michelle Olson needed abortion as their solution. Michelle explains:  "She made it easier to get past the rape. I got a beautiful baby girl from what happened to me. She is sweet, loving, and beautiful. What I went through was nothing compared to the joy my little girl has brought to my life."

The heart of these mothers are not the exceptions. They are the majority -- WE are the majority and our global network is nearly 500 strong.  Won't you stand with us? 

I am a mother, and this is also my story.  My precious three-year-old son was conceived during the darkest day of my life. It was the day that changed who I was forever -- as a human being, as a woman, and as a wife. I became another statistic.  During a nightmare I couldn't awake from, a child was conceived.  This child had nothing to do with the attack on my body or the scars on my soul.  He had everything to do with my healing -- giving me a reason to hope.  I did not save my son.   He saved me. 

I am not raising a "rapist's baby."  I am raising MY BABY. He is the love that I pour into HIM.  He is the love of the father who is raising him and siblings who play with him and the grandparents who dote on him.  He is all of these things and more.  As unique as a fingerprint, he has something that is just him, and he's perfect. 

Is he a reminder? He is.
He's a reminder that, as women, we can be stronger than our circumstances. 
He's a reminder that beauty can come from ugliness. 
And he's a reminder that how we began does not determine how we end. 

Some may seek to dismisss me -- to dismiss all of us. They'll say we made our choice. 
This is not about choice!  This is about the humanity of our children at their most vulnerable state.  

When we were raped, we had been unable to protect ourselves.  But for our children, we can and we will protect them.  We will work to make the world a more loving and accepting place for them where they will not be hated, demonized and targeted.  But as long as they are being singled out for destruction and discrimination, we will speak out. 

I am a mother.  I will not be silenced.

BIO:  Jennifer Christie’s story Raped While on a Business Trip – My Husband and I Chose
Life!
 went viral after it was published on our blog and elsewhere, with over 1 million shares to Facebook. She wrote a follow-up story, Raped, Married and Pregnant:  When People Said We Shouldn’t Have You, We Loved You Louder, and her husband Jeff also wrote out their story from his own perspective:  My Wife and I Both Saw This Baby As Something Beautiful Coming From Such Evil.  The latest update of her story — with the rapist-murderer having been killed is My Son Was Never a “Rapist’s Baby” or “Product of Rape” – He’s My Child.  For more information about Jennifer see her page on our website
 

0 comments: